- Light or medium weight long underwear top – Polypropylene or Capilene
- Light or medium weight long underwear bottom – Polypropylene or Capilene
- Lightweight fleece or softshell Jacket
- Down or synthetic insulated jacket
- Waterproof/breathable (Gore-tex or equivalent) pants or bibs
- Waterproof/breathable (Gore-tex or equivalent) shell jacket with hood
- Warm socks – wool or wool/synthetic blend
- 1 Medium weight pair of gloves
- 1 Heavy waterproof pair gloves or mittens
- Heavy polar fleece or wool hat – must come down over the ears
- Polar fleece neck gaiter or balaclava
Ski pack for one day trips: This pack should be a tall thin profile, and be no larger than 40 liters in capacity. Stay away from wide large packs, and book bag style packs.
- Sun visor or ball cap
- Good quality sunglasses or glacier glasses, preferably with side shields
- Ski goggles
- Sun block & lip crème (SPF 15 or more)
- Toilet paper w/ Ziploc bag (Blue Bag)
- 2 1qt water bottles
- Lunch and snacks for each day
All rental gear must be requested more than 7 days in advance!
- Avalanche transceiver with good batteries (available to rent from TMG)
- Collapsible Avy Shovel (available to rent from TMG)
- Avalanche probe (available to rent from TMG)
- Cell phone
Ski & Snowboard Gear
- Telemark skis, randonee skis or splitbaord (Please adjust bindings to boots and skins to skis before the course!)
- Touring ski boots
- Ski poles
- Climbing skins
- Ski crampons (Optional)
Snow Study Tools*
*These items are required for AIARE Level II Avalanche courses, but are optional for all others.
- Snow study saw: Approximately 40cm in length.
- Dial-stem thermometers, two: Graduated in degrees Celsius. Digital are permitted but have limited use in snow pit profiles.
- Snow crystal card: Dark color, metal recommended.
- Loupe or magnifying lens: 8x or 10x recommended.
- Folding ruler: 2 meter length, graduated in centimeters.
- Compass (recommended): For determining aspect.
- Inclinometer: Stand-alone or as part of a rotating-bezel compass.
- Watch w/altimeter (recommended): Useful for recording field position and time.
- AIARE field notebook (provided by OSG): Standard-issue for data recording.
Pocket knife or multi-tool (recommended)